Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Walk by Faith

Homecoming weekend was this past weekend. Both of the oldest kids went. I think it's a pretty big deal that Experimental Child went, and not only to the dance but to a party afterwards and to the football game before. That's huge, because he's not a very social person to begin with but also because he's been hesitant to do much socializing at all since we moved here a year and a half ago. My daughter's boyfriend came down for the weekend- he happens to be Experimental Child's freshman year football camp roommate and a good friend. The three musketeers.



Children never fully realize the sacrifices their parents make for them. At least not until they are adults, and even then even though they may understand they may never know about them. Hoopdad has an opportunity to move us all back north. The financials would stink- the cost of moving, getting into a new rental home, etc. However, I'm sure we would figure it all out. The job offer hasn't been made, but there's a good chance it could be- the company is waiting for budgets to be approved first. Formalities. Here's the thing- I think we have to pass up the opportunity, for now, and hope it comes around again in the near future.

Experimental Child is in his Senior year and, as I pointed out, is finally feeling comfortable and coming out of his shell. He's also the one who has entertained ideas in the past like moving back north and living with his grandparents. When I casually brought up the option of moving though, he was not happy. Can you blame him? It's Senior year; he has lots of changes ahead of him. Who faced with that wouldn't want things to stay "normal" while they can?

Even though I would love (to the nth degree) to be nearer to family, to act on that and uproot him again seems selfish and feels wrong. When he was one and a half we moved him to PA. Then back to CT again just before he turned three. That was a good move. Then when he was in 2nd grade we moved to a different town and he switched schools. Two years later we bought our house, in a different town, and he switched schools again. When he was in 8th grade, we switched him to private school- that was a good change. Then when he was a Sophomore we moved down here to FL. I just can't rationalize uprooting him...again. The adjustment of living here has been hard- harder on some than others. I just keep reminding myself there is a reason we are here. I may not know what it is, but I have to believe that there is a plan and a purpose. Maybe the reason Experimental Child is getting comfortable and growing now- of all times- is a clue that whatever the reason or purpose is, we're not done here.

There is a song by Jeremy Camp that I keep singing in my head. There's no other way for me to think about this.

Jeremy Camp- Walk by Faith video



Well I will walk by faith 
Even when I cannot see 
Well because this broken road 
Prepares Your will for me 



2 comments:

  1. As much as I would LOVE for you all to move back home, I can see your point about Experimental Child... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Father in heaven makes good come out
    of all situations. Look for that good in
    everything, and be thankful for everything-good and bad-and that helps us get through the journey.

    ReplyDelete